A sweet sojourn from the busyness of life.

This blog is a journal of forays into my loves of creative writing,
humor, and photography. It is a departure from daily stresses.
Some of life's greatest journeys are detours.

The real act of discovery is not in travelling to distant lands
but rather in seeing with new eyes. - Marcel Proust

Friday, March 27, 2009

The Ballad of the "Travelvestite"


To begin with, this ditty is in no way intended to reflect negatively on the Midwest or its inhabitants. We are very awesome just ask us.
I wrote this when I was having a bout of "travel envy". My friends were basking in the sun in the land of fru-fru drinks and deep blue waters. This was their reality. My reality was sub-zero temperatures and shoveling snow. (Hmm figuratively speaking of courseI must interject here that my contribution to snow removal is that of a consultant, I am very supportive just ask my husband.)

The Ballad of the Travelvestite
There's a name for what I am
I know it must be true
For one who yearns to wander
And is ever "fleet of shoe"

Each day brings a new journey
To lands I haven't met
Yet I must confess these journeys
are on the internet!

Near and far I travel
I tap those pearly keys
Send me to exotic places
I'll even learn Chinese!

It's a serious affliction
to people just like me
to be a world traveler
trapped in a midwest body.

It's an aberration to venture very far
to want to go to places
where you can't go by car.
"Travelvestites" are what they call us
They humorously jest
Trapped in a midwest body
and wants to leave the nest.

Have a great day and through all your journeys remember there's people who love you a ton!

No comments:

Post a Comment